How to Hide Friends on Facebook
Usually, all of your friends on Facebook will be able to see all your friends. Facebook chose to have this on by default and users have to deal with this. For people who value their privacy and don’t want to share their friend’s list, this might be bad news. However, Facebook thankfully allows you to customize who can see your friends list.
As of now, Facebook only allows you to hide your friend’s list to your other friends. However, if you want to protect a specific person from your friend’s record to a particular person, sorry to burst your bubble, but Facebook does not give you such an option. If you are having issues regarding showing your friends list to your friends or a particular person, then you have come to the right place.
In this article, we will show you the steps on how to hide friends on Facebook. These steps are easy to follow and certainly do not require knowledge about coding or programming. With just a few clicks, you can hide your friends on Facebook.
Before we get on with our list, let us first discuss the reasons why some people prefer to hide their friends list on Facebook.
Why Do People Hide Their Friends List
The reason why people hide their friend’s list may vary from person to person. In most cases, people confuse their friend’s list because they signed up for the platform for revealing information about themselves. With that being said, they are worried that other people might discover sensitive information about their friends without their consent.
Moreover, some people hide their friend’s list since Facebook is a convenient place for people with bad intentions to dig up information about their network of friends. This information about who you are friends with or who you are dealing with may be taken advantage for some people.
Lastly, people hide their friend’s list because they don’t want to show a particular person that he or she is friends with a person who may have done some altercation with. For example, your friend Jay had some legal issues with your other Facebook friend, Janice. You would not want Jay to know that you are having social media ties with Janice considering you two are close friends.
Whatever the reason is, each Facebook user has the right to keep their friends list private from the rest of the world or to a particular person. So without further ado, here are the steps that you need to do to hide your friend’s list from Facebook.
How to Hide Friends List on Facebook
- The first step you need to do is to click on your name located at the top portion of your profile. After which, you need to click on the small down arrow icon which is placed on the top right part of the Friends List. After this, click on “Edit Privacy.” The list will then pop up on the left side under the Photos.
- On the same window, a screen showing settings of the Privacy will show up. Once you see this, click on the small icon that is placed on the right portion to reveal the other option. Clicking “Only Me” will only show the list to you. At this point, no one, even your friends can see who you are friends within Facebook.
In case you only want to prevent just one person from seeing your friends list – Facebook also permits such an option:
- Click on Custom.
- After clicking custom, a pop-up window will appear. Click on “Don’t Share With.” On the entry box, type in the name of the person you do not want to share your friend’s list with. After submitting the names, the person you entered will no longer see who you are friends with.
It is a good thing that Facebook does not inform the people you refused to share your friends list. If this weren’t the setup, doing so would be such an awkward moment for both of you. However, if that person sees your profile and does not see your friends list, he or she might get suspicious. We do hope that shortly Facebook will allow users to hide a particular friend of yours to see a specific person on your friends list.
As we mentioned, the steps to hide your friends list will be an easy task. It only takes a few clicks, and you are already set. Whatever reason you have for keeping your friends list private, we hope that the steps above have somehow answered all your questions about the whole ordeal.
Choose Who to See on Your News Feed
Because of all the friends we gain on Facebook, we cannot fully control what they want to post. It is their account so they can post whatever they want. Whether we like it or not, we often see posts that are agitating, annoying or are just downright ridiculous. Because of this, we wished that we couldn’t look at their positions on our News Feed.
We can always block them if we want, however, we do not want them to get the notion that we despise or do not like them. Thankfully, Facebook has employed subtle ways for users to filter out what they want to see in their News Feed.
- To do this, click on the drop-down arrow icon on your home page and then click on “News Preferences.” This button is usually placed on the top right corner of the screen. Amidst several updates, the icon seems to sit at the same spot always.
- Clicking on News Feed Preferences will show you a pop-up window which allows you to select which people you want to see on your feed. You can also choose which people you want to see on your News Feed rarely.
- Enter in the names of the people you want to see first and then click submit. Conversely, you can also type in which people you want to look at rarely or not see at all on your News Feed, click submit.
It is worth noting that Facebook does not notify your friends about the changes you did in regards to the News Feed preferences. At this point, you already gained full control of what you see on your News Feed.