How to Reset ASUS Laptop to Factory Settings Without Password
ASUS is known for its affordable and durable laptops. It’s also known for integrating advanced security features on its products. Let’s say you got an ASUS laptop from eBay, craigslist, or from a friend. You’re trying to reset it to factory defaults, but you don’t have a password. Well, good luck. It’s the same experience when you forget your password to your ASUS laptop. It’s going to be a headache.
Resetting the password alone is quite tricky. It will require some workarounds to get past the Windows login screen. This will come in handy especially when you’re still trying to get into your laptop to save and/or back up some files. Otherwise, getting into the recovery environment to reset the laptop to factory defaults is quite easy.
Below are three methods to get past the Windows login screen without a password as well as going into a full reset of your ASUS laptop to factory settings.
Method 1: Removing the Windows 10 password on your ASUS laptop using Windows Password Refixer
When you want to completely remove the Windows 10 password on your ASUS laptop, you may need to use a different computer to download a 3rd party software. The Windows Password Refixer software is one of the safest tools to remove a Windows 10 password. Follow the steps below to do this.
- Download the Windows Password Refixer from a different computer and install it on that computer.
- Plug in a USB device into that computer.
- Open the software and select the USB option to save a boot file into the USB device. Follow the on-screen instructions and wait until you see the Burning Successfully dialog box before you remove the USB device out of the computer.
- Insert the USB device with the Windows Password Refixer boot file in it to your ASUS laptop.
- Restart or turn your ASUS laptop on. It should boot from the USB device and launch the Windows Password Refixer window on your screen. A list of all the user accounts created on the laptop will be displayed.
- Select the Windows 10 OS and then select the user accounts you want to reset or remove the password for.
- Click on the Reset Password button and Yes on the next dialog box that says Do you want to set this user password to blank?
- After the software has completely removed the Windows 10 password, click Yes on the dialog box that says Do you want to restart now? Unplug the USB drive out of the laptop.
Once this is successful, you should be able to select the user that you’ve reset the password for and be able to get into Windows 10 login screen without entering a password. As soon as you’re inside Windows, you can go ahead and do a full reset of your ASUS laptop to factory settings. This is our next method.
Method 2: Reset ASUS laptop to factory settings using Windows Recovery
When you’re inside your normal Windows desktop environment, it’s a lot easier to reset the ASUS laptop to factory settings. You also get a chance to save and backup your files to an external drive or to any cloud storage service. When you’re done with this, you can go right ahead and follow these steps.
- Plug the power on your ASUS laptop to the power outlet. Remove all other accessories and/or devices connected to the ASUS laptop.
- Click on the Windows Start button located and the bottom-left corner of the desktop.
- Click on the Recovery option and select the Get started button found at the right column under Reset this PC.
- You should be inside the Windows recovery environment, which is a blue screen. Select Restore factory settings option under Choose an option. It’s normally the last option in the list. Take note that selecting this option will completely remove all the files, applications and software, and settings on the laptop.
- Select either Only the drive where Windows is installed or All drives option depending on your need. If you have backed up all your files, it’s recommended to choose All drives.
- Click the Restore button at the last screen to get started with the restore process. This will start to wipe out everything in your laptop and reinstall the Windows operating system. The whole process will take a while and will restart the computer a few times until completed.
Method 3: Reset ASUS laptop to factory settings without logging in to Windows
There are times when things get a little too complicated, such as there’s no other computer available to download a 3rd party software to reset the Windows password, or there’s no available USB drive to save the boot file to. Whatever the case may be, you can jump right ahead into the Windows recovery environment to do a full reset of the ASUS laptop to factory settings.
This means goodbye to your files, software, music, movies, and all other settings on your ASUS laptop. That’s why it’s always a best practice to regularly backup your files. Nonetheless, if worst comes to worst and you’ll have to let go of your files, then follow the steps below to reset the laptop to factory defaults without needing a password.
- Plug the power of your ASUS laptop to the power outlet. Remove all accessories or anything that’s connected to the laptop.
- Restart the laptop while pressing and holding on to the Shift key on your keyboard. This should take you to the Windows recovery environment immediately instead of booting to Windows.
- On the Choose an option screen, click on the Troubleshoot option, and then select the option Reset this PC.
- Select the Remove everything option instead of the Keep my files option. This will completely remove everything out of your laptop and install a fresh new copy of Windows. If you choose Keep my files, this will only remove the apps and settings and will not be an effective reset.
- After the laptop has restarted, it will boot again to the Windows recovery screen and will take you to the Do you want to clean the drives, too? screen. Select the Remove files and clean the drive option to perform a complete wipeout and total reset. This will take a few hours to complete.
- Click the Reset button to confirm the wipe-out and reset to factory settings. Wait until this is complete and then log back into Windows.
Resetting an ASUS laptop to factory settings is now a lot easier and faster even if you don’t have a password. These 3 methods should be able to help you perform the reset without a headache. Just remember, always backup your files before you even regret not doing it.